Employee Vetting Consultancy
Staff vetting is often overlooked in employee recruitment as many Human Resources professionals do not actually understand the business impact of recruitment of employees who have:
- lied on their CVs to obtain a job;
- no right to be employed in the UK;
- other questionable events in their past that they do not declare at recruitment time.
A common area of problem is the use of third party supplied staff as the third party (typically a recruitment agency) rarely ever does any staff vetting or screening on them, though this is often assumed to have happened.
BCRM’s Clients are more dependent than ever on high quality and trustworthy employees, and so they have created the new CV verification and ongoing background screening service.
The implications for Clients who have employed those who have later been found to have ‘questionable pasts’ have at best been ‘serious inconvenience’ and, at worst, ‘extremely damaging’ to their reputations and image. There have been a number of widely reported cases of employees (some in senior sensitive posts), who have been found out to be fraudulent, in many cases, months or even years after they had been employed. Few realise that it is a criminal offence to lie on a CV, the Risk Advisory Group estimate that over 50% of CVs in the City contain errors ranging from minor inaccuracies to outright fabrications.
BCRM provides a range of pre-employment vetting and screening services designed to help our Clients to win the battle against the enemy within – before, rather than after, they have been employed. BS7858 is the revised British Standards Institute Code of Practice (CoP) for security screening and this is the basis of the service offered by BCRM for its Clients. The following can be checked in the UK. Different jurisdictions will have different information available:
|Personal Identity||Protect against identity theft and fraud using a cross-referencing check over a number of data sources.|
|Employer References||Obtain personal references from sources provided by a prospective employee, such as previous supervisors, customers, suppliers.|
|Employment History||Confirm past employment history, periods of (un)employment, positions held and reason for leaving (where available).|
|Qualifications||Provide protection against bogus educational and professional qualifications by validating them with the relevant institutions.|
|Memberships||Provide protection against bogus professional memberships by validating them with the relevant granting body.|
|Directorships||Validate current and previous Directorships and highlights any disqualifications that are in place.|
|Criminal Records Checks||Check with the Criminal Record Bureau (Now called the Disclosure and Barring Service - DBS) for the existence of any current criminal record.|
|Credit History||Establish financial status, credit history and any adverse information that may affect employment.|
Within the UK Vetting is also carried out by Government agencies or contractors acting on their behalf to the following clearance levels:
- DV (Developed Vetting);
- SC (Security Check);
- CTC (Counter Terrorist Check);
- EBS (Enhanced Baseline Standard);
- BPSS (Basic Personnel Security Standard);
- Basic Disclosure Check (Basic DBS Check)
- Standard DBS Check
- Enhanced DBS Check (excluding barred list check);
- Enhanced DBS Check (including barred list check).
Using the BCRM approach to employee vetting covers:
- advising on legislative requirements for vetting;
- advising on sources for verification of claims;
- agreeing criteria for verification;
- defining scope of employees to be verified;
- developing procedures for undertaking vetting for staff;
- developing procedures for undertaking vetting for third party supplied employees;
- training and awareness for HR staff;
- undertaking verification of claims made on application forms.
The BCRM approach ensures that you will substantially reduce the threat of dishonest employees by:
- ensuring an appropriate vetting process is in place at recruitment time;
- ensuring that you meet your legal requirements and have met the requirements for the ‘statutory defence’;
- managing and treating significant risks to reduce them to an acceptable level in line with risk appetite;
- providing a complete and documented vetting process;
- providing a process for ongoing vetting and monitoring of employees;
- that third party supplied staff are also subject to the same level of vetting as internal staff;
- training HR staff in proper vetting processes and procedures;
- training line managers who may employ third party supplied employees in appropriate vetting processes and procedures;
All of the BCRM consultants are qualified and have the required competence to meet the needs of our Clients.
- BCRM are justifiably proud of our 100% SUCCESS RATE, of achieving first time certification through an Accredited Conformance Assessment Body for our Clients;
- BCRM is committed to providing a consistently high value service to our Clients;
- David Lilburn Watson, who remains personally ‘hands-on’ throughout the process, manages this process.
- to understand how the BCRM suite of offerings can be used to transform your business, please contact us
- we look forward to discussing your specific requirements, at your convenience;
- we offer a free Health Check for ISO 27001;
- whatever other type of consultancy you require, we can possibly offer a free Health Check.